Friday, May 20, 2011

Most Important

A blogger mommy friend of mine asked a very simple question of her audience.

What is the most important part of being a mom?

Wow.
That....got me thinking.

What is the most important thing? Is it making sure they are dressed well, happy and well fed? Or is it making sure they are ready for their next step in life?

Looking back I can vividly remember when I was just a little girl what I wanted when I grew up. I wanted to be married to a wonderful man, have a beautiful house (with the picturesque white picket fence) a nice car and of course to be a mom. Before I knew it I was married (Yes, he IS wonderful!), living in our dream home (no picket fence yet!) and our kids are growing way too fast! Being a mom seems to be an ongoing life lesson. I have learned what will work for one, may not work for another. I have learned to appreciate the small things and not to sweat over every painstaking detail. Life is too short for that. I have learned that "Supermom" doesn't exist no matter how much I want to be like her (FYI that's a great lesson, if you haven't learned it, conquer it!).

So for me I think the most important thing about being a mom is what you learn from it. I think we all believe that we are raising our kids, but in truth they are raising us. Teaching us compassion, patience, unconditional love, how to hold on tight AND let go... these are all things that I never really grasped until I had kids. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment